vrijdag 28 oktober 2011

Fry's Planet word

Ik ben dol op taal. En dol op Stephen Fry. En Stephen is dol op taal. Eén van mijn lievelingsfragmenten uit de begin jaren '90-serie 'A bit of Fry & Laurie' gaat over zijn liefde voor taal. Er zitten geweldige zinnen in (bedacht door Stephen) zoals:

"Language is my mother, my father, my husband, my brother, my sister, my whore, my mistress, my check-out girl... language is a complimentary moist lemon-scented cleansing square or handy freshen-up wipette. Language is the breath of God. Language is the dew on a fresh apple, it's the soft rain of dust that falls into a shaft of morning light as you pluck from a old bookshelf a half-forgotten book of erotic memoirs. Language is the creak on a stair, it's a spluttering match held to a frosted pane, it's a half-remembered childhood birthday party, it's the warm, wet, trusting touch of a leaking nappy, the hulk of a charred Panzer, the underside of a granite boulder, the first downy growth on the upper lip of a Mediterranean girl. It's cobwebs long since overrun by an old Wellington boot." 

Ik kan uren naar die man luisteren :-)

(op Wikiquote vind je nog meer quotes uit 'A bit of Fry & Laurie', van zowel Stephen als Hugh).

Nu, twintig jaar later, heeft Stephen de vijf-delige documentaire 'Fry's Planet Word' gemaakt. Erg leuk! En leerzaam. En grappig..

Hier het eerste deel.


En, de scene 'A discussion of language' uit 'A bit of Fry & Laurie'.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten